photo 81949b89-01e9-4b68-9ed7-2f5f0107c4a1_zps643f50f2.png photo 27be1839-4b5a-4876-9e37-0b226c2dd11b_zpsa7cee300.png photo ea055864-8a7a-4a03-8d8e-c2bc3183d188_zpscfef9c29.png photo ff1b7c14-acad-443e-b9bf-100ee7284711_zpsbe9025d0.png

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Things On My Bookshelf




Due to my unfortunate lack of a vanity (they are expensive and I have no space), I find myself wanting an area to do my makeup that is outside of the bathroom. Call it the laziness of not wanting to stand up or whatever you want, but I think it's nice to do your makeup somewhere you can sit down, take your time, and actually enjoy the process--even if it is just those five frantic minutes before school when you attempt to look presentable. Previously, I had an unattractive salt crystal lamp and an unplugged mini fan on my bookshelf. Given that it is winter (voiding my need for a fan) and I have grown too sick of that ugly rock in my room, I decided I needed to do some redecorating, which led me to this.

I am always envious of pretty rooms--you know which ones I am talking about, the ones that look straight out of a magazine and "change with the seasons"--because mine has always been pretty ordinary. By adding these few small elements, I can achieve both the look and the function of those "pretty rooms".

1. Mason jars are for everything

Every night, I write down something good that happened during my day and put it into this jar. At the end of the year, I go back through and read all of the notes, recalling each fond memory. This is truly a great reminder that despite how bad the bad times can feel, at the end of the day, there is always something you can smile about. Also, a year is a long time, so this jar will help you move on to the new year with happy thoughts of the year that just passed.

2. Who doesn't love a good mirror?

It may seem really strange, but I use my bookshelf as a sort-of-vanity. My desk is right next to it and I have a swivel chair, so when I do my makeup I swivel on over and use this mirror. It is handy because I face the window so I apply my makeup in natural light, and I can look down into the mirror which makes winged eyeliner a million times easier.

3. Candles make all things better

I love Market Peach. This jar matches my mason jar. Done.

4. Display your makeup brushes

A simple way to add some flair to a tabletop is by displaying your makeup brushes in a cute container. I am currently lacking on the cute container side of things, but this double-ended acrylic container from The Container Store is perfect for separating face and eye brushes.

5. Jewelry fits perfectly in glass

Evidently, I like see through containers. There is something clean and sleek about having a glass container that really catches my attention. Because it is transparent, it creates the illusion of more space, which mirrors do as well. I use this square glass container/vase to store my bracelets which is perfect trick to make your room more aesthetically pleasing: put pretty things on display.

6. Steer clear from clutter

This last point, is really a rule I follow whenever decorating or designing a surface: Less is always more.

Hopefully this will give you some idea on what to put on your bookshelf or vanity or table or desk. Have fun!

What things are on your bookshelf/vanity?


No comments:

Post a Comment