photo 81949b89-01e9-4b68-9ed7-2f5f0107c4a1_zps643f50f2.png photo 27be1839-4b5a-4876-9e37-0b226c2dd11b_zpsa7cee300.png photo ea055864-8a7a-4a03-8d8e-c2bc3183d188_zpscfef9c29.png photo ff1b7c14-acad-443e-b9bf-100ee7284711_zpsbe9025d0.png

Thursday, January 16, 2014

REVIEW: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer

I caved. I know that I am late to the party and there are already several reviews on this product (which has been out for a very long time already), but only during a trip to Target last month did I finally add the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer to my makeup repertoire. 

oops that's the french side...my bad
(the bottom says Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer with Goji Berry + Haloxyl)




(awkward photos of me looking off into the distance)            top: WITHOUT concealer   bottom: WITH concealer
This photo is with one generous layer of concealer on clean skin, and you can clearly see that it covers the redness around my nose and the dark purple under my eyes. My dark circles are obviously not that severe, but this concealer does do a really good job at covering them up. If you do have issues with severely dark circles, you will probably want to find a concealer that is more full coverage. 

When I first bought this concealer, I immediately ripped off the packaging and applied it in the car. Honestly, I was blown away by how lightweight, smooth, and easy to blend the concealer was. It also made my skin feel really soft! It has light to medium coverage and looks great with or without foundation underneath.

Color

Another thing I love about this concealer is that the color is an exact match for my skin color. It is a tiny bit more pink than my skin color, but it works well to contrast the darkness under my eyes. Because the color is exactly my skin color, it is not as brightening as it could be, but there is a Brightener (and a Neutralizer) shade in the range. The color range is quite limited (Fair, Light, Medium, Honey) so that is a deficiency of the product range as a whole.

Applicator

It has a sponge applicator--which can be unsanitary--that dispenses the product by twisting the red collar in the direction of the arrows, but it works great when you are in a rush. I wouldn't recommend trying to blend the concealer in using the applicator, but rather use it to place the product to conceal any darkness under your eyes or redness.  

Formula

However, I think the formula is a bit too dry for my liking, especially since if I have any dry patches in that area, the product will cling to them and be really noticeable up close. On the other hand, throughout the day, the concealer doesn't crease and it stays put well when there is a layer of powder on top. I have oily skin so I need the powder, but if you have drier skin then you can skip that step. 


I use this Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush to blend in the concealer since it is the perfect size and it is extremely soft. You really want to blend the product in immediately or else it will set and be difficult to work with. This also relates to how it is moisturizing, but not as moisturizing as some other concealers are.

OVERVIEW
If you are on a budget, or are looking for a great drugstore under eye concealer option, you should really check this out. Despite its few shortcomings, this product can still hold its own alongside pricier high end concealers.



No comments:

Post a Comment