photo 81949b89-01e9-4b68-9ed7-2f5f0107c4a1_zps643f50f2.png photo 27be1839-4b5a-4876-9e37-0b226c2dd11b_zpsa7cee300.png photo ea055864-8a7a-4a03-8d8e-c2bc3183d188_zpscfef9c29.png photo ff1b7c14-acad-443e-b9bf-100ee7284711_zpsbe9025d0.png

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Buying Makeup 101

I'm not really a "buy on the fly" type of girl. Before I purchase any makeup, skincare, or beauty item, I always do a lot of research. Many makeup items can be quite pricey, especially higher-end makeup brands such as Chanel or even NARS. In comparison to drugstore makeup (which is even becoming more expensive than usual), one single makeup item can set you back north of $50. It is often difficult for me to justify making purchases because I tell myself, "You only have one face, how much makeup do you really need?" So I want to make sure that I truly love what I buy and that each product is an investment. 

image from sephoradiaries.blogspot.com
Buying makeup can sometimes be overwhelming, so I usually only buy makeup when I need something, or when I find that one area of my makeup collection is lacking or not up to par. My last makeup purchase was the Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in 5. Here is my process of buying this item:

1. Address The Reason

The reason I wanted this item was because my previous concealer, the MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW25 was not working well for me. The color of this concealer was far too dark and far too orange for me to use on my face (thanks MAC lady for "color matching" me, you did a really great job). I decided that the next concealer I would buy had to match my skin color perfectly, while at the same time be full coverage to cover up any blemishes or acne scars. 

2. Research

I had already heard a lot about this concealer before, so to do research, I looked for popular reviews on YouTube and online. The concealer is $32, so was not about to just hop down to Sephora and pick one up on a whim. This concealer would last me a really long time because I would only have to use a tiny amount each day, which is a plus. I find that hearing what other people say and feel about the product is extremely helpful, but I still don't stop there. Just because someone else likes something, doesn't mean at all that I will enjoy it as well.

3. SAMPLES

I cannot stress enough how much I believe in sampling makeup products before I buy them. Samples are there for a reason! I have quite sensitive skin, so I want to make sure that if I spend $32 on a concealer, that that concealer will be perfect for me. Also, in the store, lighting can be pretty wacky (MAC lady, I'm talking to you), so it is extremely important to see what the product looks like in natural light. If you use a sample for a week or two, and you still love it, then go ahead and buy it! I get my samples from either Nordstrom or Sephora. In this particular case, I got it from Sephora. 

Don't feel pressured to buy the product immediately when you get into the store. After I asked one lady to color match me for this concealer, she grabbed the product and gave it to me to buy. Just put it back! I feel like so many people don't know that you can ask for a sample, especially in Sephora. You can get samples for liquid items and for loose powders as well (which is how I found out how much I love the Tarte Smooth Operator powder). The employees are often kind and understanding, so don't be afraid to ask them for a sample, they are usually quite generous. In Nordstrom, the samples are more obvious because the makeup brands are slightly more expensive there, and the makeup ladies are also really nice about it (I got samples for my Chanel foundation there before I made the purchase). 

4. Buy It!

I buy my makeup at either Sephora or Ulta, but mainly Sephora because the marketing ploy of the Beauty Insider cards really works on me. I like seeing how many points I have, which is bad for me but good for Sephora because it turns shopping into a game that people want to win at. No shame. Anyways, when you decide that this product is right for you, go and get it. I bought the full size of my concealer when I was almost out of my sample, because you really want to get the most out of it. By following these steps, I find that I rarely ever regret any of my makeup purchases.


Have fun shopping, and remember, SAMPLES, SAMPLES, SAMPLES!



No comments:

Post a Comment